You're Green Card Is Expiring - What Next?

If you currently hold a green card or permanent resident card, sometimes referred to as a USCIS Form K-551, you are living in the United States legally. Without this document, you will not be able to re-enter the country should you leave. Unfortunately, these cards are typically valid for only 10 years at a time. If you realize that your card is expiring soon, you may be unsure about how to proceed in getting a new one.

What Happens If You Fail to Renew Your Green Card?

If you do not renew your green card quickly, you could find yourself having trouble entering the country again if you choose to leave. Additionally, you will not be allowed to live or work in the United States unless the card is valid. For this reason, you should begin the process of renewing your green card six months before it expires. In order to keep your legal status intact, you must also renew your card when you turn 14 years old.

What Is the Best Way to Renew Your Green Card?

One of the best steps you can take in renewing your green card is to speak with an immigration attorney. These attorneys are situated all around the country, ready to help you renew your card seamlessly.

Some people have cards that are valid for only two years. If this is the case, you must ensure that you file a petition for a new card within 90 days of the expiration date. Following this process, you should obtain a card that is good for 10 years. If you do not see an expiration date on your green card, you should be aware that it is likely no longer valid. You need to seek the assistance of an attorney immediately.

What If You Lose Your Green Card?

If you lose your green card or your current card becomes damaged, you can seek a replacement. You can also get a new card if you need to change some of the information. If you fail to complete the steps to get a new card, you could very well lose your right to be a permanent resident.

The only way to work legally in the United States is to obtain a green card that is valid and unexpired. Failure to do so may result in deportation. Regardless of your current status, consulting with an immigration attorney is a smart way to get the process started. Contact a business, such as The Law Office of Israel S Hernandez, PLLC, for more information.